Thursday, December 14th, 2023, at 10:34 p.m. (MT), we received a request for help with an offroad recovery in Wyoming. The requester, Gavin Toussaint, submitted the following brief information: “Ford f250 4wd I have no service. No damage. Front tires stuck. / I’m with the vehicle“.
We contacted Gavin right away and verified the GPS and contact information. We have very few volunteers in this area. Since this was a weekday and late at night, chances were pretty slim. We shared this with Gavin and explained to him we were not sure about finding him help.
We submitted the ticket to volunteers and waited for an hour. We couldn’t find help quickly enough. Luckily, Gavin found a local towing service capable of helping him.
We need more volunteers in this area. So, If you would like to receive a text message when we get a request in Wyoming, near you, create your account here: offroadportal.org/signup
A bit about offroading in Wyoming
Wyoming offers a variety of off-road opportunities for enthusiasts who enjoy exploring rugged terrain. Here are some popular off-road destinations in Wyoming:
- Bridger-Teton National Forest:
- This national forest offers numerous off-road trails for all skill levels. The Green River Lakes area and the Gros Ventre Range are known for their scenic off-road routes.
- Shoshone National Forest:
- Located near Yellowstone National Park, Shoshone National Forest provides off-road enthusiasts with access to diverse landscapes, including alpine meadows and mountainous terrains.
- Big Horn Mountains:
- The Big Horn Mountains, located in north-central Wyoming, have a network of off-road trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding landscapes. The Cloud Peak Skyway is a popular route.
- Medicine Bow National Forest:
- This forest, situated in southeastern Wyoming, has a mix of challenging and scenic off-road trails. The area around the Snowy Range Scenic Byway is particularly popular for off-road adventures.
- Red Desert:
- Wyoming’s Red Desert is known for its unique landscapes and offers off-road enthusiasts the opportunity to explore vast expanses of desert terrain. Adobe Town is a notable area to explore.
- Wind River Range:
- While primarily known for hiking and backpacking, the Wind River Range also has off-road trails that take you through remote and beautiful areas.
- Flaming Gorge Recreation Area:
- The Flaming Gorge area, spanning Wyoming and Utah, provides off-road opportunities along with water activities. The Red Canyon Rim trail is a notable off-road route.
Before heading out on any off-road adventure, it’s important to check with local authorities or the relevant land management agencies for current trail conditions, regulations, and any required permits. Always practice responsible off-roading to minimize your impact on the environment and ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Additionally, make sure your vehicle is well-equipped for the type of terrain you plan to encounter.